Welcome to the blog of Jennifer Hutchison, sports dietitian, multisport coach and endurance athlete.


Monday, October 12, 2009

IM Done!



Kona 2009 is now in the books and I am delighted to report I am satisfied with how it all played out. In being honest I wish I could have pulled out a time that was not my slowest IM but as my race recount will eventually reveal it all worked out for the best. This was by far the most fun ( as sick as that sounds) Ironman expereince I have had. It helped having so many folks at home sending positive vibes and a husband that is so supportive that I would never be doing what I love if it were not for him.

Another big bonus was being able to share the experience with an athlete I have had a blast working with this year. A BIG shout out and way to Git R Done award to Chuck Kemeny for making some lemonade out of the sour lemon that got handed to him during the swim. Chuck was coming into this race 5 weeks out from an awesome IM debut in Louisville. We had hopes that quick recovery and the fitness established going into Louisville would carry over to his Kona debut. Unfortunately during the thrashing in the swim, somehow, he sprained his ankle which ultimately turned the hope for a fast finish into a quest to soak it all in and FINISH the race. As I said in my last post, Ironman is like a box of chocolates...ya never know what your going to get.

Finish we both did with smiles and some relief that it is now over and can get back to enjoying other parts of our lives put on hold to chase the Kona dream. Right now it's time to shift gears a bit and enjoy the rest of the week without having to swim bike or run :-) Complete race report will follow next week but here are some photos from race day.


Finished!! Chuck was kind enough to hang out for "coach lady" to cross the finish line. Thanks Chuck you made my last IM experience a blast!



Pre swim nerves.....as it turned out this was the MOST relaxed and calm Ironman swim I have ever done.
Must have been the "wide" path I chose :)


Up Palani Road and heading to the Queen K for the rest of the 112 miles of heat, hills and headwind!


One of the few moments I was actually running. I was indeed quite happy to be starting the 26.2 miles of pounding the pavement. Oh man was it HOT!

The finish line photo actually captured how I felt about the day. I will post that with the race report next week. So for now going I am going to enjoy the rest of the week hanging in Hawaii. Mahalo to all that have sent words of encouragement....it helped make my day!

No comments: