Welcome to the blog of Jennifer Hutchison, sports dietitian, multisport coach and endurance athlete.


Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Race Week: Getting Settled In- Part 1



After a long but uneventful flight we arrived in Kona Saturday the 3rd and headed off to the condo. We were fortunate enough to book the same unit we had back in 2007. It’s a lovely Tommy Bahama style decorated unit with A/C (main requirement!!) just off set where we have a lovely view of a lagoon (this is where the Royal Kona host weddings) and the Pacific ocean. It’s less than a mile walk to all the pre race activities, transition area and swim start and race finish.

Its been a bit rough getting used to the 6 hour time difference. Going to bed here around 7-9PM (1-3AM EST) and waking up at 4AM. This does not bode well for a happening evening social agenda but it works well to be ready for the 4AM wake up call on race day.

Come Sunday AM Dave and I are wide-awake and waiting……..for it to get light to go for a swim. We head down to Dig Me Beach, which is the entrance for the Ironman mass swim start. It is so tiny. I was shocked the first time I saw it…I said, that’s IT? TV makes it look so different.

Anyway, just as we get down to Dig Me Beach I realized I forgot my swim cap and TYR goggles! Unlike some, I am not hard core enough to swim without a cap and I cannot swim without goggles (contact lenses) so told Dave go ahead and swim and I’ll just try to sweet talk a swim cap from someone and use his goggles when he got back. As he is swimming, I am looking around and the thought that came across my mind is “Whoa, there are some pretty fit people here…..oh, now I feel fat!” OK I know I am not fat but I am just flat out amazed at how freakin lean some of these men and woman are! I mean some have veins popping out in places I never thought they ever could. Crazy lean!!!

So back to my need to hunt down a cap…..how hard can that be? What I did find is that some folks are EXTREMELY attached to their old beat up caps and to my surprise…I did NOT get one. That’s OK as good fortune was on my side. I just so happen to over hear a gal talking to a TYR rep who was getting ready for a swim.

I am thinking well certainly the TYR rep must have an extra cap in his bag of TYR goodies. I introduced myself to him and spewed my love of TYR goggles (VERY specific on the type I can swim in) and sure enough he hands me his cap. Sweet! After a little more chatting about the goggles I use and how I stock pile them once I find them, TYR guy asks me: So do you race in a speed suit? I respond: Yes. He says: Which one do you use? I say: The original Zoot space looking suit. He says: Well why don't you get rid of that and try our SpeedSkin. He reaches into his bag of goodies and hands me a brand spanking new speed suit! Now that’s SUPER Sweet!!!! So I said SAYONARA to Zoot and was on cloud 9 with my surprise gift! I thanked TYR guy for making my day and patiently waited on the beach for Dave to come back in. When he does the look on his face was priceless. Here he is looking for the easy to spot TriGators two piece suit that is now covered with a full body black and blue TYR beauty. He shakes his head and hands me his goggles and I jump and start swimming. At that point the thoughts that came in my head were “boy this suit is comfy” then to “wow I forgot how clear this water is…oh look at those pretty fish…whoa there is a bunch of crab!....this water is awesome…..man this is kind of fun” I actually settled into a nice rhythm and LOVED swimming….. now THAT was the best surprise. All I can say is if it were like this at home I probably would love swimming but instead murky, hot water..blah!. Anyway, all in all it was splendid start to the week.

Will post some pictures next post with some training details for the past few days.

Now off to read by the pool and enjoy the island breeze!

Jennifer

No comments: