Welcome to the blog of Jennifer Hutchison, sports dietitian, multisport coach and endurance athlete.


Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Picking Up Steam & Road Racing


Whew! January is almost over and it just seem like it started. The good news is that even though I am swamped with an influx of new athletes ( oh the pain and suffering to come.......just kidding) and the new nutrition clients, I am managing to get in a little bit of training. Last year, I blew off getting started until March and suffered most of the year.

So far, I have managed to get back on my Computrainer, squeeze in a few swims and try to adhere to the its "best to get a short workout in rather than no workout" philosophy. So far so good.

The big news is this month I managed to do my first run road race since 2004. Wendy and Al Johnson put on a great race at the St. Pete Beach Classic 5K/10K. Its a first class event and we could not have asked for better weather. I had an OK day and feel i am on track to be closer to my old racing self this year but still have lots of work to do.

Boy road races hurt. As crazy as it sounds I have managed to avoid doing them all the while convincing those I coach to suffer through them :-) Its not because I am the "do as i say not as I do kind of coach" but rather I was not that into wanting to focus on developing my own speed.

The truth is if you want to get faster, doing periodic road races gives you a real time snap shot of where your fitness is. Whether it be a 5K, 10K, 15K, half marathon or a full marathon.....you can always learn something about where you are with your training and what needs to be worked on to get faster even if triathlon is your goal.

Those I coach know I like details. Feedback from races like these help me make their future workouts....well, more interesting ( insert evil laugh). So being that I have rekindled my own love of pain and suffering I am looking forward to planning my next road race.

I do need to give a WAY TO GO shout out to some of the following folks:

Rose L- you rocked it girl at your first marathon.......Ironman is gonna feel easy by the time I get done with you :-)

Andrea A - although this was a couple of months ago....you surprised yourself with a first 1/2 marathon. I am certain you will do the same with your next 1/2 coming up this weekend. You are on the right path to becoming an Ironman!!

Suzanne B- SUPER proud of you and your 10K effort.......this is going to be your year so stick with it.

Marc S- Way to hang tough my man......you got the speed in those legs of yours just need to find you a good dietitian to better give you advice on how many gels to take ;-) St. Croix is gonna be all you.

Erin S- What can be said other than PERFECT execution of a pacing strategy. You crushed your goal time and looked like a million bucks doing it. NOTE: The photo at top is Erin :-)....not bad for 26.2 miles!!!!!

More good stuff to come......

Eat smart and train well

~ Jennifer

No comments: