Welcome to the blog of Jennifer Hutchison, sports dietitian, multisport coach and endurance athlete.


Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 in the Books!

As they say time flys and 2009 (with its ups and downs, highs and lows) sure did. But before I can look ahead to 2010 I have to wrap up a couple of things from 09.

Since I have failed to blog since the Kona experience, I realized I did not give a much deserved public display of affection for two gals that successfully completed their first Ironman in Panama City on November 7th. HUGE props to Krista Eyler and Rose Laurence for putting in the work and trusting me enough to help get them to the start line.

Once the start gun goes off , the Ironman becomes an internal mental game as well as a physical test of endurance and fortitude. Coaching only takes an athlete so far, it provides the recipe and directions on how to bake up the satisfying, rewarding experience and provides the fullness of a job well down. Unfortunately some athletes decide to tinker with the recipe by adding some ingredients of their own ( meaning doing something they did not do or try in training) or try to tweak the directions ( alter pacing or nutrient timing) which can result in a less than desirable outcome. Good news is these two woman followed the recipe! They "planned the work and worked the plan" and in the end got to hear what so many triathletes wish to hear: You are an Ironman. So again ladies, helmets off to you for strong finishes....Congratulations Ironwomen!

November also saw the Ironman 70.3 World Championship in Clearwater come and go. I opted to sit the race out because the hip issue was not fully resolved and I had not put in the desired level of training to be worthy of another World Championship start. The bright side of that decision is I got to watch so many athletes go on to fantastic finishes. My husband David had a another strong performance and I was happy to see a future IronClad athlete Jeff D have a phenomenal day.
One of the sweetest parts of the day was also watching and encouraging Kevin Collington to run and fight for that 6th place overall finish. Remarkable performance and it validates that he could be a 70.3 guy but first things first....he's going to pursue London 2012. Kevin's come along way in the past 3 years and I thankful to have had the opporuntity to be a part of his development. As it stands, Kevin has chosen to take a different direction in 2010 so I would like to congratulate him on a solid year and wish him well in 2010 and beyond!

So now that 2009 is about to close, its time to think about whats next? Well I can tell you personally I have yet to wrap my brain around any particular race. Its surprising but I do not have ANYTHING athletic on my 2010 calender, meaning I have not filled out one race application! Kind of odd but also kind of liberating.

I know I will be racing but right now I am focused on getting all the exciting professional things I will be doing planned. I am also FINALLY running again without any pain or slightest bit of discomfort. I am being very conservative with my running right now so when I feel I can put forth a respectable run off the bike then it will be game on. For now, just going to spend as much time as I can on the bike, get back to regular swimming and enjoying training with some of the old and new athletes I am fortunate enough to coach.

This Kona photo below sums up how I feel about 2009. Exhausting and exasperating at times but overall hugely satisfying!!



Oddly enough I have to say 2009 was a good year and I am hoping 2010, with it being a new decade, brings even better times.

For those of you that read my blog, thank you!
In 2010, I am actually going to work on being better with updates plus I will be launching a new nutrition only blog....IronClad Nutrition. I thought its about time I share some of the tips, tricks and concoctions that help fuel strong athletic bodies........ so stay tuned for that link.

Here's too a happy, prosperous New Year!

No comments: