Welcome to the blog of Jennifer Hutchison, sports dietitian, multisport coach and endurance athlete.


Monday, February 14, 2011

Long over due 2010 recap & TEM intro

Seems as if I cannot seem to make the time to blog. So many irons in the fire and the last thing I feel like doing at the end of the day is more typing but I have gotten some gentle nudges to keep this up so I will make another attempt.


Instead of a 2010 recap, all I will say is WOW, what an awesome year. Sure there were some highs and lows but overall it was another great year for the Ironclad athletes. Lots of PRs, tickets punched for World Championship races and folks applying the basic principles for healthy balanced nutrition to get the most out of their bodies.  I was overjoyed to relive my Kona experiences though two athletes who made the very first trip to the Big Island for the Ironman World Championship. A belated and long overdue public display of affection to Michele S and Bill B for enduring and finishing he grandaddy of Ironman. I am blessed to have been a part of the journey with you.


There were many other memorable 2010 performances but when I look back over the year and think about the one performance that I was most proud of as a coach it has to be at Ironman Florida were Marc S executed the perfectly paced and fueled Ironman. Rarely does an Ironman go exactly as planned but in Marc's case he hit or exceeded all the times we had trained for without any GI issues or bad patches in the race. He trusted the preparation and excuted the pacing plan ( giving his best on the swim, riding strong and steady on the bike and holding back a bit on the first half of the run) to finish sub 10:25 with a monster new IM PR. So here is long over due PDA for my man Seaverson, way to go and glad you are on board for the 2011 pain train heading to Lousiville.


As for me, well I finished up the 2010 season racing the Myrtle Beach Triathlon and got a spot for the ITU Long Course Worlds which will be held in Henderson, NV ( just outside Las Vegas) in November. That will be a tough course since its a 4K swim, 120K bike and 30K run. I am still IM Retired but this race is between the 70.3 and IM distance which means some dedicated training will be in order. I also managed to participate in he final 70.3 World Champs in Clearwater. I say participate because it was still a very uncomfortable race for me. My hamstring issue is now resolved but I am having a rough go finding the joy with running......that is going to have to change soon if I want to swap my participant hat for the competrtor cap in 2011.


So here we are in 2011, and there is so much to look forward to. The year started off heading to Colorado Springs for  the inaugural USAT Youth/ Junior Coaching Certification Clinic. I was asked to write the chapter on nutrition for the coaching manual and present on the topic to over 40 of the top coaches leading the way in youth and junior development in the country. After the coaching clinic, I attended the USAT High Performance Team (HPT) Symposium which brought together coaches with existing HPT programs and coaches who had applied for the designation in 2011. I am happy to report that my partnership with fellow coach Marc Bonnet-Eymard in forming the Triton Elite Multisport program was one of five programs to receive the HPT designation for 2011. To find out more about the TEM mission and my passion for working with junior and developing elites please check out our webiste at www.tritonelitemultisport.com


The year is off to a great start so hope to keep the momentuem going!

No comments: